Two people accused of murdering a 66-year-old man at his Beenleigh home have been remanded in custody after their cases were mentioned in Brisbane Magistrates Court.
Queensland Police allege Andrew Duncan Murray suffered multiple stab wounds during an altercation at a Lubach Street property on Tuesday afternoon. Emergency services were called at about 4:45pm, but efforts by police and paramedics to revive him were unsuccessful and he died at the scene.
Jillian Greer Francis, 43, and Lindsay James Kohn, 47, have each been charged with murder. The allegations have not been tested in court, and both accused are entitled to the presumption of innocence.
Police outline alleged events at Beenleigh home
Investigators allege Mr Murray returned to the house and discovered he had been locked out. Police say he forced his way inside, after which the confrontation escalated into a serious assault involving the three residents.
Detective Inspector Ian Galpin said Mr Murray had allowed Ms Francis to stay at the property temporarily about four months earlier. Mr Kohn had also stayed there at times. According to police, Mr Murray had recently asked the pair on several occasions to leave.
Police allege Ms Francis stabbed Mr Murray during the altercation. They also allege both defendants assaulted him. A knife was seized as part of the investigation, while an examination of the property reportedly identified broken plates. An autopsy was expected to help establish the precise medical cause of death.
Neighbour praised for intervention
A neighbour who heard the disturbance entered the home, disarmed a woman and attempted to provide first aid to Mr Murray, police said. Investigators allege the woman also swung the knife at the neighbour and narrowly missed him.
Detective Inspector Galpin publicly acknowledged the neighbour’s actions and the assistance he provided during a dangerous and fast-moving situation.
Ms Francis has also been charged with acts intended to maim, disfigure or disable, as well as an aggravated offence of contravening a domestic violence order. Queensland Police said the additional alleged violence related to the neighbour’s intervention.
Accused due back in court in September
The two accused were not required to appear when their matters were briefly heard in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Wednesday. Both were remanded in custody, with the cases adjourned to Beenleigh Magistrates Court on September 23.
No pleas to the murder charges have been reported. The prosecution will be required to prove its allegations beyond reasonable doubt through the court process.
Police established a crime scene at the Lubach Street address and continued forensic and investigative work after the death. Officers have asked anyone with relevant information to contact Policelink or provide information anonymously through Crime Stoppers, quoting police reference QP2601608571.
Community mourns respected neighbour
Detective Inspector Galpin described Mr Murray as a well-liked and respected neighbour in what he called a tight-knit community. Residents gathered to console one another following the incident, and floral tributes were left near the property.
The case has drawn attention not only because of the homicide allegations but also because police say the fatal encounter followed a temporary housing arrangement that had broken down. Those circumstances remain allegations and will form part of the evidence considered by the courts.
Support is expected to remain available to neighbours and others affected by the death as the investigation and legal proceedings continue.
Sources: Queensland Police Service and ABC News reporting, published August 19, 2026.
