David Warner Convicted and Fined $1,500 for Mid-Range Drink Driving

Former Australian Test cricketer David Warner has been convicted and fined $1,500 after pleading guilty to mid-range drink driving in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

Warner, 39, appeared at Waverley Local Court on Tuesday, where Judge Clare Farnan also ordered that an alcohol interlock device be fitted to his vehicle for 12 months. The device requires a driver to provide a breath sample before a vehicle can start.

What happened on the Easter long weekend

The charge followed an incident at Maroubra during the Easter long weekend. According to facts presented to the court, Warner had attended a social gathering and consumed three glasses of wine before driving his family home.

Police said Warner stopped before reaching a random breath-testing site and was observed moving from the driver’s seat to the passenger seat. He returned a positive roadside test, with a subsequent analysis recording a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.104 — within the mid-range drink-driving category in New South Wales.

Warner’s lawyer entered a guilty plea on his behalf in July. At Tuesday’s sentencing hearing, barrister Awais Ahmad described the decision to drive as impaired, impulsive and foolish. He told the court Warner had accepted responsibility, completed a traffic offenders program and participated in therapy.

Court rejects request to avoid conviction

The defence asked the court not to record a conviction, arguing that this was Warner’s first involvement with the criminal justice system and that a conviction could affect his future career and commercial opportunities. The court also received a letter from Warner reflecting on the incident and its potential consequences.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Adrian Walsh argued that a conviction was appropriate. He noted the reading of 0.104 was not marginally above the threshold for a mid-range offence and submitted that general deterrence was particularly important. The prosecution also pointed to Warner’s public profile and the fact that his children were in the vehicle.

The court heard that Warner’s driving history included 10 speeding offences and three instances of using a mobile phone while driving. He had already spent about four months off the road by the time of sentencing.

Judge stresses broader road-safety message

Judge Farnan accepted that Warner was remorseful, had taken steps to address his conduct and was unlikely to reoffend. However, she said drink driving remained a significant contributor to crashes, trauma, injuries and deaths on New South Wales roads.

The judge also said Warner’s circumstances were not unusual among people appearing before the Local Court for mid-range drink driving. Figures cited in court showed 17,383 people faced the offence between 2022 and 2026, including 10,083 who had no prior criminal record.

In recording the conviction, Judge Farnan emphasised the need for penalties to discourage others from making the same decision. Warner was fined $1,500 and placed under the mandatory interlock requirement for 12 months.

Because of the time he has already been unable to drive, Warner is eligible to apply immediately to participate in the interlock program. He left the court without speaking publicly.

A high-profile reminder

The sentence closes the court phase of a case that attracted attention because of Warner’s long international cricket career and public profile. The legal outcome nevertheless reflected the court’s view that his conduct should be dealt with under the same road-safety principles applied to other offenders.

The case also reinforces a straightforward public-safety message: alcohol can impair judgement well before a driver recognises the risk, and choosing to drive after drinking can expose passengers and other road users to serious harm. Random breath testing and interlock orders are intended both to detect offending and reduce the chance that it happens again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *