NDIS fraud accused refused bail after Adelaide Airport arrest

A 38-year-old Adelaide man accused of involvement in an alleged $5 million National Disability Insurance Scheme fraud plot has been refused bail after his arrest at Adelaide Airport.

Foluso Omole appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday, where prosecutors argued he posed a flight risk. The court heard the dual Australian and Nigerian citizen had bought a one-way ticket to Nigeria and was preparing to leave Australia when Australian Federal Police officers arrested him on Friday.

Mr Omole has not entered pleas and denies the allegations against him.

Prosecution alleges ties had been cut

The prosecution told the court Mr Omole appeared to have “cut ties” in Adelaide before the airport arrest. It alleged that significant funds had been sent to Nigeria during the period of the suspected offending, and noted that his wife lives there.

Mr Omole was working as an NDIS coordinator and operated two businesses employing a number of staff at the time of the alleged conduct, the court heard.

Prosecutors allege he improperly received information from a woman employed by the National Disability Insurance Agency over a six-year period, then used that information to obtain a financial benefit fraudulently. The woman has also been charged and was expected to appear in court later this week.

The case forms part of continuing efforts by federal authorities to investigate suspected fraud involving the NDIS, a publicly funded scheme that supports Australians with permanent and significant disability. The allegations before the court have not been proven.

Defence disputes account of travel plans

Defence lawyer Mark Twiggs told the court his client disputed the prosecution’s description of the journey. According to the defence, Mr Omole planned to travel on a return ticket to London rather than permanently depart for Nigeria.

Mr Twiggs said the ticket had been purchased before a raid on the home of the woman who is also charged in the matter. He also told the court that Mr Omole had no criminal record, denied the charges and had reasons supporting his release on bail.

The differing accounts of the travel arrangements became central to the bail hearing. Magistrate Patrick Hill said whether the booking was a one-way ticket to Nigeria or a return ticket to London affected the court’s assessment of the risk that Mr Omole might leave the jurisdiction.

Bail refused over flight-risk concern

Despite the defence submissions, Magistrate Hill refused the application. He said that, having considered the other matters raised by the prosecution, he remained concerned that Mr Omole posed a flight risk.

Mr Omole faces one count of dealing with proceeds of indictable crime valued at more than $1 million and one count of dealing with money or property worth more than $1 million that is alleged to be proceeds of crime.

The charges concern alleged financial conduct and do not amount to findings of guilt. Under Australian law, Mr Omole is presumed innocent unless and until the prosecution proves the allegations beyond reasonable doubt.

Further court appearance scheduled

Mr Omole remains before the courts and is due to return to the Adelaide Magistrates Court next month. No plea was entered during Monday’s hearing.

The AFP arrest and the court’s bail decision represent procedural stages in the case. The substance of the alleged $5 million fraud plot, including the prosecution’s evidence and the defence response, will be considered as the proceedings continue.

Source: ABC News reporting from the Adelaide Magistrates Court and information attributed in court to prosecutors, the defence and the Australian Federal Police.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *