A 37-year-old man has died after being taken into police custody following an armed confrontation at Clayton railway station in Melbourne’s south-east, prompting a homicide investigation under internal police oversight.
Police and Protective Services Officers were called to the station at about 7:10pm on Sunday after receiving reports of a highly agitated man. According to information reported by ABC News, responding officers found the man carrying a knife and pacing on the station concourse.
Station cordoned off during negotiations
The man then moved from the concourse onto the railway tracks near the platform, police said. Officers cordoned off the area and train movements were stopped while they attempted to speak with him and bring the incident to a safe conclusion.
Police allege the man subsequently advanced towards officers while holding the knife. Officers initially used what authorities described as non-lethal tactical options in an effort to detain him. A Critical Incident Response Team also attended and continued negotiations.
The available public account does not specify which tactical options were used or provide a detailed timeline of the final moments of the confrontation. Police have also not publicly identified the man in the initial report.
Man became unresponsive in custody
The 37-year-old was eventually taken into custody but became unresponsive a short time later. Ambulance paramedics provided immediate medical treatment, authorities said, but he could not be revived.
The circumstances of his death, including the sequence of events during the arrest and the cause of his medical deterioration, have not yet been established publicly. Those questions will form part of the investigation now under way.
Because the man died after being detained by police, the incident is being treated as a death in custody. Such cases attract a formal investigative and oversight process intended to examine the conduct of officers, the force or tactical methods used, medical assistance and any other circumstances that may have contributed to the death.
Homicide Squad investigation under oversight
Victoria Police Homicide Squad detectives will investigate the incident. The investigation will be conducted under the oversight of Professional Standards Command, the specialist command responsible for examining police conduct and maintaining professional standards within the force.
The use of homicide detectives does not, by itself, indicate that investigators have reached a conclusion about criminal responsibility. Specialist investigators are routinely assigned to deaths involving police so that evidence can be gathered and the circumstances independently scrutinised within the established oversight framework.
Investigators are expected to examine available station and body-worn camera footage, communications records, witness accounts and medical evidence. Authorities had not announced any findings by early Monday morning, and no allegation of wrongdoing against any officer had been made in the initial public account.
Major disruption on Melbourne rail lines
The emergency response and subsequent investigation caused significant disruption across the rail network. Services on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines remained suspended on Monday morning, with replacement buses operating between Oakleigh and Westall.
Passengers were advised to allow additional travel time and consider alternative transport while the station area remained affected. The disruption reflected the need to preserve the scene while detectives and forensic personnel began their examination.
The death is likely to be subject to further statutory scrutiny, including the coronial process that applies to deaths in custody in Victoria. A coroner can examine the medical cause of death, the actions of authorities and whether changes could reduce the risk of similar deaths in the future.
Police inquiries remain ongoing. Further details, including the man’s identity and any confirmed findings about how he died, are expected only after investigators have notified family members and completed initial examinations.
Source: ABC News reporting published on 17 August 2026.
